This article originally appeared in the October 29, 2015, issue of The Archway, Bryant’s student newspaper.
Good old October. The leaves begin to turn vivid reds, oranges, and yellows. Or so they say. I mean, dogs aren’t really colorblind in the way you’ve heard we are. We don’t see as many colors as humans, but we can see them. So I see browns and yellows instead of red, orange, and yellow. Learn something new every day, don’t you, humans? #TheMoreYouKnow
Besides the fact that it’s pretty, there are a few really pawsome things about October. Well, this list refers to THIS October.
I present to you “Tupper’s Top Five Favorite Reasons to Love October”:
- LEAVES. They get really pretty. Then, the best part, they fall down. It’s so fun to sniff under each one of them, attack the rake when Ma’s trying to put them in a pile, and then run through the pile until it’s all spread out again.
- HALLOWEENIE. In October, all the little boys and girls dress up like their favorite superheroes and go door to door, collecting hot dogs. I don’t enjoy wearing costumes, but if I got a bag full of hot dogs, I’d consider it. As long as I didn’t have to walk around the neighborhood. Oh…..Ma says it’s just “Halloween,” and they get chocolate….which I can’t have on account of it being poisonous to dogs. I miss all the good stuff!
- REUNION @ HOMECOMING. WOOHOOO! A lot of my old friends come back for Alumni Weekend. And they scratch my bum and hug me and tell me how much they miss seeing me. Sigh. It’s tough when the kids grow up and leave the nest.
- PARENTS & FAMILY WEEKEND. Every year, the parents seem more excited to see me. Apparently, they follow me on Facebook and Twitter and they already know ALL about me. They kiss me and take my picture and tell me how handsome I am….who doesn’t love all that for 4-5 hours straight?
And my number one reason to love October is:
- TAILGATING. Food on the grill. Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, sausages…oh my! And everyone wants to feed me. Now if I could just get Ma to let me have some of that food. Quick, someone distract her!